Anyone got three monitors working?

Don Krause dkrause at optivus.com
Mon Nov 28 20:58:06 UTC 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 12:08 PM, suvayu ali wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 19:54, Don Krause <dkrause at optivus.com> wrote:
>> Uhh, no, SLI has little to nothing to do with multiple monitor support..
>>
>> We do 3 monitor systems, using 2 dual DVI Nvidia cards with the proprietary driver for a medical device, works fine.
>>

> I don't quite understand how one can have a single X server running on
> multiple hardware. Does your system by any chance run multiple
> displays instead of a single extended desktop? I am asking because I
> see multiple "ScreenX" sections in your example xorg.conf. As far as I
> understood the OP wants an extended workspace.
>
> In any case, I would be glad if you could confirm or correct my
> (possibly false/incomplete) understanding. :)
>
> --
> Suvayu

It's a single desktop, display.0:0 across 3 screens, using xinerama.

It doesn't work at all with xorg's "nv" driver, but works flawlessly with the "nvidia" driver, at least version 180.51. (We've not tried any ATI cards for this, although our first iteration
used Matrox cards..)

AFAIK, you need the multiple Screen definitions to populate the "ServerLayout" section, unless there's a better way to arrange the screens,
which I haven't looked at, once setup, we can't change the config. (Documentation, Medical Device, etc…)

The relevant portion of xdpyinfo:

default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    5760x1200 pixels (1524x318 millimeters)
  resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 15, 1, 4, 8, 16, 32

--
Don Krause
Head Systems Geek,
dkrause at optivus.com
www.optivus.com
"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."