JDK 7 status and IcedTea

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Nov 29 15:33:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> If I am, is there a timeframe for certified builds?
>
>No.

:-(

Please, Red Hat, drop a few bucks for this! ;-)

>> And while we're talking about Java 7, I heard about serious problems
>> preventing some open source packages like Lucene from running under
>> Java 7 on production settings.
>
>That is ancient history.  This bug was fixed almost instantly in
>IcedTea devel, and no release was ever shipped with this bug either.

But someone told about incompatibilities on Fedora Java packages that prevented OpenJDK 7 / IcedTea 2 from being the default Java in F16. So I can expect OpenJDK 7 to be the default Java when F17 is released?

PS: I am writing an aticle about open source java jvms, it looks like GNU Classpath, GCJ, JamVM, CacaoVM, Kafee are dead, although not officially like Apache Harmony. Anyone can comment on this, mayne on a new thread?

[]s, Fernando Lozano