Suddenly cups does not run on boot [re: Tim Waugh]

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 29 16:57:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 15:51 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 16:59 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > What is the output of "systemctl status cups.service" after booting
> > > but before restarting CUPS?  Do you see any errors in syslog from CUPS
> > > during boot?
> > >
> > > -T.C.
> >
> > After this boot cups worked on the client so I have little to report.
> > The output of: systemctl status cups.service
> >
> > Is;
> > cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
> > 	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
> > 	  Active: active (running) since Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:51:07 -0600
> > 	Main PID: 687 (cupsd)
> > 	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
> > 		  └ 687 /usr/sbin/cupsd -f
> >
> > But I got the same output when it did n work so I will stay confused
> > until I have a consistent story at which time I will ask again.
>
> What is maddening is that right after I boot, printing works. After
> awhile it stops working.
>
> Running: systemctl |grep cups
> returns:
> cups.path loaded active running
> cups.service loaded active running
> cups.socket loaded active running
>
> When I run: systemctl restart cups.service
> printing works again.
>
> So it is not the interference of the network starting that is causing
> the problem. Do I need to file a Bugzilla?
Trying to use the advice from another poster I put the following line in
an executable file: /etc/rc.d/rc.local
{which is strange since there is no default instance of rc.local on a
F16 system}

/bin/bash -c 'sleep 10 ; systemctl restart cups.service' >/dev/null
2>$1 /dev/null

Same behavior as before. Printing works for awhile then stops. Its a
mystery.
If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a deal
faster. -- The Duchess, "Through the Looking Glass"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net