Fact check: why are icedtea binaries named openjdk?

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Nov 29 22:08:34 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I heard that iced tea binaries have to use the openjdk name on binaries
(such as the Fedora packages) because of some agreement with Sun. Sun was
to provide help running the TCK and integrading iced tea patches into
openjdk, in return icedtea downstream would use the openjdk name. Is this
correct? I could not find a reference on the subject.

Or maybe it was a clause on the "special tck license grant" for open source
projects based on openjdk.

I guess there are people on the list who can tell what happened. :-)
[]s, Fernando Lozano