Help with "sudo yum update"

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:43:12 UTC 2011

2011/11/30 Lucélio Gomes de Freitas <aa.lucelio at gmail.com>:
> Joe,
>
> I don't know what .i686 is doing there.  I use always .x86_64 since the
> beginnig of Fedora10.
> My be because of Skype?  What do you think?

Yeah, Skype requires a bunch of 32-bit libraries.  It's usually
harmless, although you seem to have run into a glitch.

> The last "sudo yum update" ran last saturday, without any problem.
> I didn't install anythig.  Why "Error: Protected multilib ...."?

YUM ensures that when you have x86_64 and i686 libraries installed,
they both stay at the same version.  (Things can get screwed up pretty
badly if their versions differ.)  For some reason, YUM found an update
for the i686 version, but not the x86_64 version, so it failed out
rather than install it and potentially screw up your system.

>From here I can see that the new gtk2 is present for both x86_64 and
i686, so likely your YUM metadata is outdated/incorrect.  "yum clean
all" will erase it and force it to redownload on the next update.

-T.C.