Tablet Acer Iconia W500, anyone?

Maseood Raisi amrmesh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:52:15 UTC 2011

On 12/1/2011 12:04 AM, fernando at lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> It's my understanding that Google has released the complete source for
> the latest Android. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
>> John
>
> Releasing the sources is not enough for me. Android is developed at
> closed doors, and the source released afterwards, or not released at
> all, like it happened wth 3.0 / Honeycomb. I don't know how hard is to
> do something usefull with those sources. Sometimes you find "complete"
> sources available but an incomplete/not documented/not automared build
> process, and the sources are pretty useless without a huge effort.
>
> Not mentioning that all android devices on the market use ARM cpus.
> Maybe the current sources need significant porting effort for x86.
>
> Current Android requires programming for their specic APIs: no X, no
> LibreOffice, no Gimp, no Inkscape...
>
> A tablet like the Acer Iconia W500 has the same specs as a current
> netbook, so I could use it sometimes as a tradicional netbook and say
> edit ODT documents, and sometimes as a tablet, using the touch interface
> for multimedia and web browsing. It even helps that by providing a doc
> with keyboard, full-size usb and vga ports. So today I could do with it
> things I cannot do with a tablet.
>
> My question is, on the tablet side, anyone has tried Fedora on the
> Iconia, and found it nice to use with touch-screen only?
>

> []s, Fernando Lozano

Hi, I'm planning to buy Iconia W500 too
since it use the AMD Fusion CPU, it can run both fedora AMD64 and x86,
but the question is, is it possible to boot the device from another
drive like USB CDROM, or Flash Disk?
the specification of the device didn't say anything about the BIOS used
in the device

--
Maseood Raisi
Email: amrofr[AT]gmail[DOT]com