Fun and games with 3TB hard drives.

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:39:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 06:12, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a natural consequence, Linux is a priori not designed for
> noobs and newbies who do not want to learn.

I think this is a problem.

When I started using Linux back in 1999 (Caldera OpenLinux before the
SCO fiasco, fwiw(, I expected the user-friendliness to eventually
improve. It did not. But my expectations were not related to myself,
but thinking about friends and family I wanted to convert to Linux.

Back in the OS/2 Warp days, IBM also thought "SYS 3175" was an OK
error message and that end users didn' t need more human-friendly
error messages.

FC

PS: Just including aliases for common Windows commands the users are
expected to find would have helped a lot of newcomers, but actually
the general concensus seems to be "this is Linux, it's not designed to
please Windows users, windows users should learn Linux and how it
works, instead".