Fun and games with 3TB hard drives.

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:58:22 UTC 2011

On 10/1/2011 5:39 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 06:12, Marko Vojinovic<vvmarko at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> As a natural consequence, Linux is a priori not designed for
>> noobs and newbies who do not want to learn.
>
> I think this is a problem.
>
> When I started using Linux back in 1999 (Caldera OpenLinux before the
> SCO fiasco, fwiw(, I expected the user-friendliness to eventually
> improve. It did not. But my expectations were not related to myself,
> but thinking about friends and family I wanted to convert to Linux.
>
> Back in the OS/2 Warp days, IBM also thought "SYS 3175" was an OK
> error message and that end users didn' t need more human-friendly
> error messages.
>
> FC
>
> PS: Just including aliases for common Windows commands the users are
> expected to find would have helped a lot of newcomers, but actually
> the general concensus seems to be "this is Linux, it's not designed to
> please Windows users, windows users should learn Linux and how it
> works, instead".

This is not meant as a Flame War starter. But...

I agree with you. Grandma and grandpa, mom and dad. Billy and Bobbie can
go to a store and actually buy a computer, in boxes, come home and
connect the pieces and *it just works*. *Everything just works*. Then
along comes a Linux Guru friend and he replaces their OS. And suddenly
things get complicated. And things stop working. Unless they get some
strange file from some man that lives in a cellar in some country with a
really odd name. Or perhaps things work but not quite as well.

As much as *I* like Linux it will never become a common desktop until
that happens. Until it *just works*. IMO of course.
--

   David