Fedora / Solaris ACL Bug

Thomas Dineen tdineen at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 2 18:36:02 UTC 2011

Gentle People:

      I just finished building a Fedora 14 Intel machine that I want to
use as a file server with the client being a Solaris 10 Intel
machine.

    When I try to access the Fedora server's exported file systems
from Solaris I get the following error:

"ls: can't read ACL on /net/Dineen-Linux2/home/tdineen: Permission denied"

    Please note that the userid and groupid have been aligned on both
machines
to 1001 and 10, and directory permissions are quite open in the Fedora
server.
The Fedora server otherwise works just fine.

    It appears that there is some sort of incompatibility between the
file systems?
NFS version???

    A number of experiments have all yielded various errors all
including "ACL"

    Experiments with /etc/exports using Sun5(rw) and Sun5(rw,no_acl)
have not fixed
the problem.

    I am willing to perform more experiments and / or post more
information as needed.

    So whats the story here and how do I fix it?

Thomas Dineen