Printing from new PC without LPT/Serial port to Dot Matrix Printer on Smb Share

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 09:04:04 UTC 2011

Hello all

I am trying to cnfigure LPD/LPR or any other raw printing method (non-cups)
to print from a Fedora 15 machine that does not have a serial or parallel
port.

While I can create the SMB printer from the Printers GUI screen, it does not
get enabled or even print a test page. I think the issue is that the
software prints to a device that does not exist. I think I need to create a
device file & redirect it to the smb share or something similar....but maybe
I'm wrong.

Can someone please tell me what to do, to enable printing to a non-existant
lpt1, which is redirected to a remote windows machine having a shared dot
matrix printer.

With best regards & thanks.
Sanjay.