Apoligies Re: Dearest

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Mon Oct 3 09:38:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Hiisi <hiisi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Is your password still a 'password'?

The other day I installed my Mom's Mac OS Xsecurity  updates.  I'm
afraid she's not technophilic enough to use GNU/Linux.  The very last
thing I did was to have her set at her iMac herself, open the System
Preferences, go to Users and Groups, and give herself a password.

I was able to install all of her operating system patches without
entering a password at all!  I am quite certain that her identical
twin sister's MacBook likewise has no password.

I myself installed a whole bunch of application upgrades and security
updates on Windows XP yesterday.  While I have a password for my user
account, I was able to do all those installations without any
authentication.

A while back I tried to "secure" my Windows 2000 box, for example by
disabling write permision in the Program Files folder.  Nothing worked
after that, because so many programs save user data right next to
their executables.

I'd like to secure my WinXP installation but it's going to take some
study to figure out how to.

With Ubuntu, I have to use "sudo" to install all my patches, and root
logins are disabled, although I can do "sudo sh" to get a root shell.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation