F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Mon Oct 3 16:40:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 16:40:16 -0700, PG (Peter) wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 18:00 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > I kept getting messages from evolution about half the time that
> > the MaxCrashReportsSize was set too low in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf
> > [...]
> > Have any of the rest of you had this problem ?
>
> Greg,
>
> I'm not so sure that is an Evolution-specific bug. Do you regularly
> notice Evolution crashing? I repeatedly see this whenever _any_ program
> crashes (which thankfully is a rare occurrence).
>
> Without more informtation, I'd say that this is an issue with ABRT's
> default configuration, and not Evolution.

Agreed. Settings in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf are specific to ABRT and do not
influence Evolution in any way. The value you've changed only tells ABRT
how much disk space it may use. You could also set it to 0 (unlimited).

Unfortunately, raising this to 50K did not solve the problem.  I am
still getting evolution crashes, but the message related to the size of
the MaxCrashReportSize are no longer appearing.  I am not getting
crashes with any other software at this point.  I have tried to file a
report with BUGZILLA, but the process of doing so completes with an
error message that that there is inadequate information to post to
Bugzilla.

I have not seen this problem reported by anyone else so I may be dealing
with something that is related to my system.  However, I am close to
switching to a different MDA.

Thanks for  your comments!!!

Greg