Printing from new PC without LPT/Serial port to Dot Matrix Printer on Smb Share

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 19:11:31 UTC 2011

Tim

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:

> To print from the command line, use the lp command.
>
> Tim.
> */

lp would print a file to the named printer. How do I print or redirect the
console output to the printer as is the case in "ls -lha > prn"

And moreover a legacy program is printing to a device lpt1, had the port
existed & been connected/redirected to some printer....it would have
printed.

Problem here is that there is no connection between the print output of the
software and the lpd/lpr/cups/smb device. The software is NOT modified to
recognize the lpr/cups device and therefore is printing to a lpt1 port, as
all DOS legacy programs do. What I need to do is somehow capture the output
to the lpt1 device & redirect it to the printer setup on linux.

Is it possible to create a directory named lpt1 in /dev and make it behave
like a device (whatever behaving like a device is), so that the program
output written to it can be redirected to the the linux printer?

With best regards.
Sanjay.