@Michael Re: Apoligies Re: Dearest

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:11:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:07:29 +0100, FM (Frank) wrote:

> No idea, but I have received spam from my own email address before.

That's something completely else, and a known form of abuse.

And it isn't accurate to say "from my own email address". For spam, the
email address listed in spam messages typically has nothing to do with the
origin of the mail. With the old mail protocols and many mail servers it
is too easy to insert arbitrary sender addresses.

If you want to examine _from where_ a mail was sent, you cannot avoid
displaying and analyzing the mail headers. Bottom up and eliminating
any forged headers somebody may have inserted there.

> >> Is the fact that my isp email is routed through gmail a factor
> >> (plain password) pulled every 30\60 min?
> >
> > Can you explain the setup in detail?
> >

> Originally in Gmail, it allows you can get other pop email
> by entering email address and password.
> It won't pull an exe attachment.

You mean the "Mail Fetcher"? If so, you would enter your ISP mail account
details there, not your Google Mail passphrase. One would need to examine
your ISP's POP server for details, such as SSL/TLS usage.

> My isp does not use https, even for their webmail.

But your GMail passphrase is not the same as the one you use for you ISP,
is it? ;)

> Only my eldest son "the gamer"
> had tried to do anything foolish on this PC.
> I don't use a screensaver, as I can never recall the password.
> I keep it on a usb stick.

Ah, fresh theories! Lovely. :-)
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/27/129090941151506207.jpg

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.04 0.13 0.13