unwanted logout in xfce

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Tue Oct 4 21:21:45 UTC 2011

On 10/03/2011 09:18 AM, JD wrote:
> On 10/03/2011 08:04 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>>[...]
>> However, I am having one issue since I changed... I leave
>> my machine on and running overnight (have a bittorrent
>> client running) but the next morning I find I am logged
>> out. [...]
>
> A possible culprit:
> Check all the bash rc files in your home dir and in /etc
> and look for the variable TMOUT
> If set, auto-logout will take place after the number of
> seconds that TMOUT is set to.

Thanks.  I was not aware of this setting.  Seems not to
be the problem this time (looks like xscreensaver is
crashing as detailed in a different post) but good to
know for the future.

Responding to a couple other responses here to reduce
traffic...

On 10/03/2011 11:56 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> If you haven't checked the XFCE forum at http://forum.xfce.org/ yet, you
> might want to.

I knew about the mailing list but not the forum.  Thanks.

On 10/03/2011 11:57 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Since you already have possible solutions from Kevin and JD, I thought
> I might offer you a OT workaround. If you are using transmission, I
> would suggest you try transmission-daemon. If you prefer something on
> the terminal, you could try rtorrent inside a screen session.

Again, new info to me.  I will look into transmission-daemon
regardless of how the xscreensaver problem works out.