upgrading fedora 11 to the latest version of fedora

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Oct 5 15:47:48 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I have been given a workstation with Fedora 11 (Leonidas) installed by
our IT team. I'm running web-based tool on it, purely Perl based. I have
also data there that I would like to keep while upgrading to Fedora 15
(or maybe wait a ~month longer and upgrade it directly to Fedora 16).

I would like to ask for recommendation on what's the easiest way to jump
through so many releases?

I have basic linux experience since I'm doing some programming. Do I
need to use external storage to be able to upgrade or I can go through
yum?

If I could go with yum, I would appreciate if you provide me with the
command.

What other things should I consider before upgrading from Fedora 11 to
Fedora 15 or 16?

Thanks!
Merak,

Fedora does have a utility that starts with 'preupgrade' that allows you
to go from one revision to the next sequential revision.  However, every
time I have used this I have had problems.  I have only been able to
make this work on one machine going from F13 to F14.  It would really be
great if this utility worked easily, but it has not work well for me.
I would advise you to offload all files you need to keep and do a 'clean
install'.

The other item I would encourage you to look at are the hardware
limitations of F15 compared to F14.  I have a lot of older equipment
that requires my support that are restricted by an upper limit of 512
mgs of memory.  These machines will not work on F15.  F15 also has
gnome3 that has failed to work on some of my older equipment so beware.

Good Luck!!!

Greg