heads up: Adobe now has full 64-bit Flash support

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 22:25:50 UTC 2011

Andre Robatino <robatino at fedoraproject.org> writes:
> Adobe now has full 64-bit Flash support, including a 64-bit repo. Just go to
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ , select "YUM for Linux (YUM)", download and
> install adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch.rpm, and install flash-plugin from the
> repo. Someone needs to edit https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash (meaning taking
> an axe to it). In particular, I don't know if there's any reason for anyone to
> use the 32-bit wrapped plugin anymore.

Too bad they botched the yum repo file and wired it for 64-bit only.
Folks with a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit systems now have to be careful
to not rsync that file across all their machines.  Much better would be
to use "$basearch" instead of the "x86_64" or "i386".  Folks might want
to use this as their adobe flash repo file:

/etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux.repo:
[adobe-linux]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/posts