OT: Changing MSDOS attributes from Linux?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Oct 6 02:29:41 UTC 2011

In the past days, we have a virus going around that readonly and
hidden attributes on files on students flashes in other labs.
They send the students to me for help, and I can kill the virus from
linux and remove the lnk files it puts on the flash, but linux sees all
the files fine, but in Windows, the files are still hidden.

I then have to open the file in Windows, and go to DOS and use
the attrib command to clear things.
attrib -r -h -s /S /D

Is there a Linux command that can change the DOS attributes on
flash devices with FAT and NTFS filesystems? mattrib does not
seem to work?

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11286819.773693   |   EINSTEIN     6657791.399851
ROSETTA      3738829.581515   |   ABC          8496799.382981