Fedora 15: a NFSv4 to glusterfs migration HOW-TO

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Oct 6 11:49:26 UTC 2011

On 10/06/2011 06:02 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>> 3. On the server, edit the volume configuration file
>> (/etc/glusterfs/glusterfsd.vol) so that it looks like this:
>>
>> volume raw
>>    type storage/posix
>>    option directory /fileserver
>> end-volume
>> [...]
>
> Hm, the setup of volumes is very different from what is done in the
> Gluster Administration Guide. The latter does not touch plain files at
> all but consistently uses the gluster CLI. There is no need to deal with
> "volume raw", "volume brick" or so, and above all there is no
> modification to glusterfsd.vol.
> Why the deviation?

It's simple; it works. I was following various recipes collected from
the web.

Also, I had a problem starting the management service (which provides
the CLI functionality), so I couldn't use the CLI tools. I don't recall
the exact problem now.

I guess you can configure things "statically" from the config files, or
"dynamically" from the CLI. I like the config file approach, personally.

- Mike