Yum update from live media??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 17:49:23 UTC 2011

	I have an F14 PC on which I'm currently running F15/xfce from a
live medium. Having had too little coffee, I tried (as root) telling it
"yum update."

	It did it, or was about to. It got all the way to its "Is this
all right" question -- whereupon it was going to install fifteen things
and update four hundred-odd.

	Would it have gone all the way? Would I then have an F15/xfce
machine, as if I had done preupgrade, with all my data still present? And
would that have been able to run preupgrade and get me to F16 when F16 is
released??

	The machine in question is pretty well backed up; so I'm willing
to try the experiment, IF the knowledgeable think the odds are good, or
it would produce useful knowledge, or both.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User