can I get rid of these annoying log messages?

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 03:40:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cranked the systemd log level down to "err", but
> I'm still getting these filling up my /var/log/messages
> over time (this is on fedora 15):
>
> Oct  6 19:12:50 zooty dbus-daemon: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.
> Oct  6 19:13:54 zooty dbus-daemon: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
>
> The reason it fails, of course, is that I have NetworkManager
> turned off, so why does it keep trying to start it? And why
> does it feel the need to log the failure when I deliberately
> disabled the service?

It's dbus-daemon that's actually trying to start them, probably
because somethng is trying to talk to NetworkManager over DBus and NM
is configured for bus activation.  systemd is doing the right thing
and refusing to start it when DBus asks it to, but that makes
dbus-daemon error out.

"rm /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager*.conf" will disable bus
activation for NetworkManager and make the messages go away.

-T.C.