installation on a dell netbook

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:13:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Shiv Manas <shiv at linux.com> wrote:
> 1. Create a Live USB Stick
> https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
> 2. Boot from the above stick
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#How_to_Boot_a_Live_USB_Drive
>

> 2011/10/7 Martín Marqués <martin.marques at gmail.com>
>>
>> I have to do an installetion on a Dell netbook which has no CD/DVD
>> drive. I see no instruction on how to install Fedora on a netbook from
>> a USB stick. Any links are welcome.

You can also use livecd-iso-to-disk (from an existing Fedora machine)
to write a DVD install iso to a usbkey - make sure it is bootable, and
you can also add the --reset-mbr flag to the command to put the
correct mbr on the stick - then when booting it on the netbook to do
the install, you should make sure that the bootloader options are
correctly putting grub onto the mbr for the correct drive - used to be
the case it put it on the stick by default (since this is the drive it
is running from) - just take care at that section that you select
options correctly. Other than that it is just like a normal install
from an optical drive with a DVD disk in it...

If you use a livecd iso instead of the DVD iso then you get a lot less
options during the install unless you configure the network and update
from external repos. With the DVD iso you can largely install the
majority of packages - I do this for my own netbook for the past
couple of years without issues.  As you say many (or most) netbooks do
not have an internal optical drive though an external one can usually
be connected. However they almost all will boot from a bootable
usbkey.

I hope this helps.
--
mike c