FC14 problem "no root device found"

Gijs info at bsnw.nl
Fri Oct 7 18:25:50 UTC 2011

Hello List,

I tried replacing my existing system with a raid-5/lvm setup by I ran
into some trouble mounting the root partition during the boot sequence.

I created a raid-1 device for the /boot partition. I copied my existing
boot to /boot and my existing root to the LVM-volume that is ontop of a
raid-5 device. I tried booting from it, but I just can't get it to mount
the root right after it boots the kernel. I get the message "no root
device found".

I pretty much tried everything. I recreated the initrd because I thought
it might have something to do with the raid device (which I didn't have
before). But after inspecting the initrd contents of my original stock
kernel, I found mdadm and other raid-related files. So I figured that
shouldn't be the problem.

I tried specifying the root partition in a number of ways. By UUID, by
"/dev/mapper/raid--5--lvm-root", by "/dev/md-0", by "/dev/raid-5/root",
by label "root". Nothing worked.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Kind Regards,

Gijs