vi ? howto show cursor position

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 7 20:29:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 11:01 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In previous fedora releases vi would display the cursor position as "row
> number" "character position" in the bottom right of the display.  In
> f14's release of vi this is no longer true.
>
> I've looked through the command reference and don't see any way to
> restore that behavior.
>
> Is this something lost from the compiled distribution or is there some
> *:set* method that will turn it back on and, if so, would somebody share
> the magic formula?
>
> TIA,
> Mike Wright

On my machines both under F14 and F15 the cursor positions are
displayed. vi is really vim. This could be set by a :set command but I
can't find the right one when I looked quickly. On my machine as I said
the correct option is set by default.

You can try :set all to find the option and place it in the .vimrc file
in your home directory.
Some men who fear that they are playing second fiddle aren't in the band
at all.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net