TFTP stopped working on F14

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Oct 8 01:16:02 UTC 2011

Aaron Gray wrote:
> TFTP seems to have stopped working on my F14 machine.
>
> It appears both server and client are not working.
>
> I have it working on my F15 machine and have tried between the two (with iptables rule) and
> F14 server and client do not work.
>
> tftp appears to log in but, on transferring a file it just says "Transfer timed out." after a
> while.
>
> I have reinstalled both client and server. And I am using the same '/etc/xinetd.d/tftp' file
> on F15 as on F14.
>
> There do not appear to be any logs for TFTP.
>
> AFAICS I am not doing anything wrong or differently.
>
> Help !
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron

1) In adition to other recommendations - if You use libwrap files
 /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} , have You something as

in.tftpd:       192.168.202.

in /etc/hosts.allow (192.168.202.* is client network) at server side?

2) what say logs at server side (/var/log/messages)?

3) tftp connection between F14 and F15 works fine for me, no matter
which distro is client and which server (just verified). But I was
gathered with some weird TFTP clients (mainly PXE), for which was
needed some adjustment at Fedora TFTP server. Namely:

- set "/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc" to 1 (e.g. with
net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 1
line in "/etc/sysctl.conf" or quickly with
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
)

- disable some tftp extension - in "/etc/xinetd.d/tftp" supply "-r blksize":
#	server_args		= -s /var/lib/tftpboot
	server_args		= -s /var/lib/tftpboot -r blksize

4) wireshark is very good sort of things for debugging.

Franta