Slow wireless

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 02:55:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Keith Clark
<keithclark at waterloosubstop.com> wrote:
> I'm running Fedora 15 on a laptop with a Broadcom 4318 wireless card.
> The Network Settings shows I'm connected at 54 Mbps, but my actual
> download speeds tested with speedtest.net show only about 0.15 Mbps
> download and 0.24 Mbps upload.  My service is 2 Mbps download and 0.5
> Mbps upload.

My wife didn't have quite the same issue. On her laptop she would get
poor transfers of about 2.5MB/s but this was computer to computer on
local wireless network. She would also get where other computers could
see her and because of that network printers would drop off. Adding
the following:

options b43 nohwcrypt=1

to /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf

seemed to help. Others report adding "qos=1" to that helps as well.
Just google around for broadcomm and nohwcrypt.

Richard