Slow wireless

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Oct 8 03:04:39 UTC 2011

Keith Clark writes:

> I'm running Fedora 15 on a laptop with a Broadcom 4318 wireless card.
> The Network Settings shows I'm connected at 54 Mbps, but my actual
> download speeds tested with speedtest.net show only about 0.15 Mbps
> download and 0.24 Mbps upload.  My service is 2 Mbps download and 0.5
> Mbps upload.
>
> I'm using the B43 driver.
>
> Any ideas on how to correct this?

The first thing to do is to figure out exactly what that needs correcting.

speedtest.net does not measure the speed between your laptop and your
router, they measure the speed between you, and their servers. The same goes
for any other web-based bandwidth measuring service. None of them have a
magical ability to hack into your wireless router, and open a direct
connection from your wireless router and your laptop, in other to measure
how fast you can fling packets to your router, obviously. All they can do is
measure how fast you can download something from them.

Unless you are sitting in speedtest.net's data center, and your wireless
connection goes directly to their network, your speed will also be obviously
impacted by your Internet provider's performance, and every Internet
provider between your provider, and theirs.

So, in order to confirm that you have a wireless performance problem, you
will need to perform exactly the same test, but this time with a wired
connection to your router. If your bandwidth is now close to your expected
2mbps bandwidth, then only that would demonstrate an issue with your
wireless setup. If you still end up getting subpar bandwidth, your wireless
bandwith would obviously not be your issue.