Slow wireless

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Oct 8 04:02:14 UTC 2011

Keith Clark writes:

> Hey Sam,
>
> Sorry I didn't mention that before.  Yes, I've tried wired and I get the
> correct speeds as they should be.  2 Mbps download and 0.5 Mbps upload.

There are a few low-hanging fruits you can check, to eliminate the obvious.

First, how many access points NetworkManager shows, besides your own. If you
have a bunch of other access points round you, your wireless frequency may
be saturated. You may or may not have better luck by reconfiguring your
wireless router to use a different channel.

If your laptop is in a different room than your wireless router, or if you
have other devices connected to your wireless router: turn off all other
devices, take the laptop, and go sit next to your wireless router, connect
to it, and see how fast things move when you're right next to it.