Corrupted evolution databases

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 8 18:23:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 15:31 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:39 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Usually if you run: evolution --force-shutdown
> > > Then go to:
> > > .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox
> > > and : rm Inbox.ibex.index
> > > and restart evolution , things will straighten out.
> > Correction.
> > That is for F15 . In earlier versions of Fedora it was in local not
> > local_mbox.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, but:
>
>       * This is F15, and I have local/ not local_mbox/.  Maybe because I
>         had it before F15?
>       * I don't have the file Inbox.ibex.index.  Maybe because my local
>         inbox is tied to a POP3 account?
>       * I do have several *.ibex.index files.  They are all hidden
>         (start with '.').  One of them is ..ibex.index.  The rest
>         correspond to folders or RSS feeds.
>       * I tried deleting an RSS feed (which deleted the
>         corresponding .ibex.index and .ibex.index.data files) and
>         recreating it (which created new files), but I get the same
>         error trying to read that feed.
>
> I suppose it wouldn't kill me to blow the whole evolution directory tree
> away and start from scratch, as all the accounts are also stored
> remotely), but if you have any other ideas to try first, I'd be glad to
> have them.
I am not sure what you mean by your Inbox being tied to a POP3 account.
Are you using an Exchange server?
I also use POP3w to download my mail from a server. Under your local
directory do you have a file called folders.db. If so oyu might tey
processing iit with the following script:

 cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local
        for i in `find . -name folders.db`
                do
                echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
                sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
        done

Sin has many tools, but a lie is the handle which fits them all.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net