Upgrading to F16 Beta

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 19:52:54 UTC 2011

On 10/07/2011 03:21 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 07:42, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I vote for an upgrade script for all the steps
>> suggested on
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> Wow, progress being made!.
>
> I remember suggesting here that the Linux community should embrace
> scripts, instead of posting "howto" recipes that the users then have
> to cut and paste, and got some string opinions thrown at me. ;)
>
> This example is just what I meant... more scripts, less "howtos" please. :)
>
> +1
> FC
OK - here I report what happened when I tried to
follow the instructions at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
to perform a live upgrade.

0. ran all the steps specified on the URL.
1. running yum to do distro-sync failed to resolve
conflicts with several of the existing fc14 packages.
2. yum update failed for the same reason.

Conclusion: F16 Beta not ready for live upgrades and/or
                    I just have too many packages installed (more than
4000).

So, I restored back from saved partition image
and rebooted back to F14.