Java crashes in Mozilla Firefox

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Mon Oct 10 09:57:34 UTC 2011

Ian Malone wrote:
> On 8 October 2011 09:05, Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:
>> On 08.10.2011, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>>
>>> Error occurred during initialization of VM
>>> java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
>>> Ring a bell?
>> Unfortunately not. Does this one help?
>>
>> http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2011/06/noclassdeffounderror-exception-in.html
>>

> I would suggest:
> 1. Making sure that the symlinked plugin really is symlinked and
> pointing to the libnpjp2 in the installed java directory
> (/usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so ?) and is not a copy or
> pointing to a copy.

Hi Ian:
the libnpjp2.so in this location is:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  77510 2011-07-19 10:57 libnpjp2.so
so it should be an executable, not a symlink pointing to other locations.

> 2. Checking 'which java' reports 'bin' in the same install directory
> (it would be /usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java assuming the location from
> #1).
which java or which -a java reports:
/usr/bin/java
but this is not what you specify here, it is higher up in the directory
hierarchy. Maybe my installation has a different structure?

> 3. Checking 'java -version' works.
reports:
$java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8)

> 4. Make sure firefox is not picking up a conflicting plugin from
> somewhere else (e.g. ~/.mozilla/plugins), quickest way to do that is
> remove your plugin symlink, restart firefox and see if it's
> disappeared from about:plugins.
I have already removed everything from my /home/<user>/.mozilla

I start suspecting that the problem may be the internet banking logon
application.
I continue Googling for answers, and I found one that made me suspect
this. I still keep firefox-3.5.4, and I found a pervious plugin that I
symlink from its plugins directory, which looks like this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    76 2011-10-09 12:21 libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.6/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15824 2009-10-16 18:02 libnullplugin.so
[par at localhost plugins]$

In fact I now manage to log on to the internet banking application from
ff-3.5.4.
But newer versions of firefox seems not to function using this plugin.
I am not happy with this solution, but it is better than nothing. It
means that I have a (sort of) functioning bank id, and this also comes
to use in other settings, fx. credit card payments. This is a secure way
of identifying yourself electronically, and I cannot live without it, it
seems.

I also discovered something else:
The java in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/ responded like this when I tried
to start it:
[par at localhost bin]$ ./java
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

This error message is identical to the one I get in the terminal window
when Firefox goes down after the attempt to logon to the banking
application.

Regards
PA