Upgrading to F16 Beta

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Oct 10 10:11:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 00:07 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 22:48, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> >
> > Considering that Rahul is a tireless ambassador for Fedora and puts up
> > with stupid comments like the above
>
> I apologize. Let me rephrase it in a more civilized manner, then:
>
> "I strongly think that people in charge of a FOSS project saying that
> there is not a need for ready-made scripts that solve common problems
> is ´not needed´ hurts these FOSS projects more than they help. Why?
> Because I think it reverses the burden of proof, that people
> advocating such scripts which would result in an easier experience for
> end users, end up having to defend their idea. Comments like Rahul
> just in the end maintain the status quo, when he could just say "ok,
> why don´t you do such a script and I´ll help it become a part of the
> distro".
>
> Fine now?. That´s the thoughts that crossed my mind before emotion
> kicked in and I wrote the previous comment.
----
Fedora has a mechanism called pre-upgrade and that is where all of the
energy is directed for the purposes of upgrading in a live manner. The
notion that you piled onto was about using yum for a live upgrade and if
someone wants to somehow script that, by all means they should go for it
but the project itself already has a mechanism.

It seems that for the second time in as many weeks, you want to draw
some illogical conclusion as if a particular topic provides some a
priori proof about what is missing in FOSS and it seems obvious to me
that some people are content to curse the darkness and some people light
candles and you seem to want to fall into the former and not the latter.
The real power of FOSS is about people who recognize a need and they
fill it rather than waiting around for someone else to do the work.

Craig

believed to be clean.