Upgrading to F16 Beta

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:26:49 UTC 2011

On 10 October 2011 12:57, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> To take one example, I found a user asking on how to reset gnome panels.
>
> The answer:
> ---
> "Code:
>
> gconftool --recursive-unset  /apps/panel
> killall gnome-panel
>
> "your panels should then reset , and respawn. Should fix most issues."
> ---
>
> Then bloody hell why isn´t this coded as "gnome-panels-reset.sh" and
> placed in the path?. Then next time someone asks about this the answer
> could be a simple "run gnome-panels-reset"

Think about what happens if you do this: the problem still exists, you
still have to google or ask on a forum, you just get a shorter string
to copy and paste. If it's really needed permanently that's one thing,
but in most cases these kind of commands are to work round a
particular issue in not always the best way and usually point to
something that should be fixed somewhere else.

--
imalone