F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:28:30 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 09:48 PM, JD wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 08:49 AM, linux guy wrote:
>> I had the same problem, for some reason, on one of my machines.
>>
>> On that machine I upgraded from the full install DVD instead of doing
>> a yum preupgrade.   Actually, I did the later, but it failed.
>>
>> Anyhow, I believe I ran a yum check all > list.txt and then edited the
>> file and then used it as input to yum itself.
>>
>> It was a terrible, terrible process.
> I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea
> that upgrading using yum should be scripted by
> an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog
> through this mud :)

It might be that Preupgrade has bugs.   Reporting them and getting it
fixed would be the first choice rather than replace it with a script
which will likely have bugs as well.  It is not realistic to believe
that you can write a script to handle upgrades and not have bugs.
Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least.

Rahul