F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:42:11 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 09:28 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 09:48 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 08:49 AM, linux guy wrote:
>>> I had the same problem, for some reason, on one of my machines.
>>>
>>> On that machine I upgraded from the full install DVD instead of doing
>>> a yum preupgrade.   Actually, I did the later, but it failed.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, I believe I ran a yum check all>  list.txt and then edited the
>>> file and then used it as input to yum itself.
>>>
>>> It was a terrible, terrible process.
>> I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea
>> that upgrading using yum should be scripted by
>> an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog
>> through this mud :)
> It might be that Preupgrade has bugs.   Reporting them and getting it
> fixed would be the first choice rather than replace it with a script
> which will likely have bugs as well.  It is not realistic to believe
> that you can write a script to handle upgrades and not have bugs.
> Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least.
>
> Rahul
Well, in that case, what's the difference between
what you say (re: it would have bugs), and all the
rest of the software, from the kernel to the shell?
Have they all not had bugs, and continue to  have
bugs today?
And I agree, it is a complex process that newbs and
non-techies will always fail at accomplishing.
I tried the yum upgrade from f14 to f16, and it ran
against so many conflicts (which I had wrongly assumed that
yum would be able to resolve and delete the old f14 conflicting
package and replace it with the corresponding f16 package).
Then I restored back to f14 and tried to upgrade via DVD.
upon reboot, I was unable to log in via the gnome login
screen. I do not recall the full details of why it failed - but
the failure message was about something did not work.
So, I logged in via the console terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and
tried to run yum update. Again, unresolvable conflicts.

So, I am still hoping an expert in yum and upgrade will
be able to give us such a script.

Regards,

JD