Current F15 kernels + proprietary nVidia driver ? kmod, akmod, x11 config.

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:25:41 UTC 2011

**I ask that flamers please withhold whatever comments may derail this
thread from its goal of helping me run the proprietary nVidia driver.**

Rightly or wrongly, prior to F15, I've used the proprietary nVidia driver
almost exclusively.

I abandoned the proprietary nVidia driver with my upgrade to F15 because,
for whatever reason,  it failed to run.

I am now running mythTV front ends on several of my nVidia equipped
computers.   The front end process is VERY video processing intensive and
its not uncommon for top to show the mythfrontend process taking 100% of 1
processor on my T8100 laptop when using nouveau.  Supposedly running vdpau
will drop the processor load down to ~ 10%.

I would like to resume using the proprietary nVidia driver.

What is the best way to do this ?

kmod-nvidia ?   akmod-nvidia ?

Has the content of the xorg.conf file changed recently ?

Any and all comments and/or tips and trick for once again running the
proprietary nVidia driver will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !