Current F15 kernels + proprietary nVidia driver ? kmod, akmod, x11 config.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:53:42 UTC 2011

Without more information it's nearly impossible to tell what's wrong.

I did a preupgrade on my desktop from F14 to F15 and everything works
fine with the binary nvidia drivers. I used both an oldre 7600GT and
recently upgrade to a GTS450. I haven't had to mess with my xorg.conf
at all.

As far as kmod or akmod, they're pretty much identical. With the
straight kmod you have to be careful about kernel upgrades because it
will not get updated until the 2nd yum update run and occasionally
there's a significant delay between a new kernel and the kmod driver
being available.

Of course the akmod package allows you to build your own kmod package
on your end without having to wait for the kmod to be available but
has the down side of needing devel tools including kernel-headers and
kernel-devel.

Richard