F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:10:34 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 12:54 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 09:42 AM, JD wrote:
>> And I agree, it is a complex process that newbs and
>> non-techies will always fail at accomplishing.
> Why?  My sister is able to upgrade from one version of Ubuntu to the
> next without any help and she's a complete non-tech.  I don't think the
> average non-tech would have any trouble upgrading Fedora using
> preupgrade.  Why do you think the process is so difficult?
I have done 5 upgrades so far that simply failed.
If you have not followed this thread, then please
read what I posted re: what failed.
So the difficulty is not in following the
instructions as outlined on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
but that yum would fail with many unresolvable
conflicts and refuse to carry out the fully resolved
dependencies. I had also wondered if the failure was perhaps
due to the fact that F16 Beta repos may not be ready for
the process to run yum update to F16.

Also, as I had also stated, I had to disable rpmfusion, atrpms,...
repos before undertaking this task, to avoid failures that
are not related to vanilla fedora packages.

So, I do not think that comparing ubuntu to fedora
is helpful in this case. Perhaps ubuntu does a better
job at upgrading than fedora does. I don't know.