F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:19:10 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 01:11 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Rahul,
>> I tried preupgrade.
>> I tried upgrade via DVD.
>> I tried upgrade via yum according to
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
>> All of them failed to upgrade the system to full F16.
>> Upgrading via all these methods left hundreds of
>> F14 packages in place, even though they were
>> installed via yum update from fedora updates
>> repository, for which F16 updates were indeed
>> identified by yum, but at the same time yum would
>> then say "Not found".
>> I had taken care to disable other repo files, such as
>> rpmfusion, adobe, google, skype, atrpms so as not
>> to get a whole bunch of errors unrelated to upgrading
>> from fedora repos.
>>
> Are you sure they were not packages which were _not_ rebuilt for the
> new release. This is common practice unless there is a significant
> change in any of the packaging utilities (e.g. when RPM changed to a
> sha256 hash).
>
> To give you an idea, this is what I have on my (never upgraded) F14 system:
>
> # uname -r
> 2.6.35.14-96.fc14.x86_64
> # rpm -qa | grep -c -E 'fc14|noarch'
> 1707
> # rpm -qa | grep -c fc13
> 170
> # rpm -qa | grep -c fc12
> 149
> # rpm -qa | grep -c fc11
> 8
> # rpm -qa | grep -c fc10
> 1
>
> And since you pointed to the fedora wiki page, I think I can safely
> assume you did a distro-sync after the upgrade. Despite all the
> precautions an upgrade is a complicated process and often things go
> wrong. Since you have tried all 3 methods and failed, have you
> considered if there is any common point of failure which is hampering
> all the methods?
>
> Just a few thoughts. Hope this helps.
>
> PS: My experience with upgrades have been extremely smooth, specially
> when I used preupgrade.

Well, if packages not present in a previous release,
should not the new packages that replace them be
marked as "obsoletes <package name>" ?
Or if they are not even replaced by a new package,
should yum just throw up it's hands and exit with
error?
As I explained my current installation of f14, I also
make use rpmfusion and atrpms repos, which which
I disable during upgrade to avoid complications.
Perhaps that is indeed a source/cause of the failure.
If it is, then clearly it is an issue that should be addressed,
or advise fedora users that making use of other repos
will lead to upgrade failures.