XFCE does not mount an audio CD

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Oct 10 21:19:59 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 01:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Audio cd's don't usually mount at all. You should be able to put them
> in and run your media playing application and it should see the cd and
> let you play it. There will not be anything on the desktop however.

Yes.  We went through this same discussion several months ago when I had
a similar difficulty.  (BTW, it went away again as suddenly and
inexplicably as it came.)  Now, I get an icon on the desktop labeled
"Audio Disc" with, among other things, an option to mount the volume.
It doesn't auto-play because I have that disabled, and I can't use
software to eject it unless I mount it, but aside from that, it works
fine.  Sound Juicer can't read the tracks unless I mount it, and doesn't
find the track info, but I think that's a problem with the specific CD.

Yes, in the strictest sense audio CDs don't really mount, but the system
(or maybe the DE) does something with them that allows you to use them
as though they were, and it generally calls it mounting.  For most of
us, it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck so we
see no reason not to call it a duck.  There was a time when I'd have
agreed that we shouldn't call it "mounting," but I've learned[1] over
the years that most people don't want to know about the messy details
that some of us[2] love so much, they just want it to work.

[1]I hate to keep throwing out all that tech support experience I
have[3], but this time it's relevant.
[2]Including me, I'll admit.
[3]For those coming in late, 7.5 years at an ISP, plus several months at
another company where I demonstrated why I don't normally do hardware
support.