F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 11 04:16:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 09:42 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 09:28 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >> I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea
> >> that upgrading using yum should be scripted by
> >> an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog
> >> through this mud :)
> > It might be that Preupgrade has bugs.   Reporting them and getting it
> > fixed would be the first choice rather than replace it with a script
> > which will likely have bugs as well.  It is not realistic to believe
> > that you can write a script to handle upgrades and not have bugs.
> > Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least.
> >
> > Rahul
> Well, in that case, what's the difference between
> what you say (re: it would have bugs), and all the
> rest of the software, from the kernel to the shell?
> Have they all not had bugs, and continue to  have
> bugs today?
> And I agree, it is a complex process that newbs and
> non-techies will always fail at accomplishing.
> I tried the yum upgrade from f14 to f16, and it ran
> against so many conflicts (which I had wrongly assumed that
> yum would be able to resolve and delete the old f14 conflicting
> package and replace it with the corresponding f16 package).
> Then I restored back to f14 and tried to upgrade via DVD.
> upon reboot, I was unable to log in via the gnome login
> screen. I do not recall the full details of why it failed - but
> the failure message was about something did not work.
> So, I logged in via the console terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and
> tried to run yum update. Again, unresolvable conflicts.
>
> So, I am still hoping an expert in yum and upgrade will
> be able to give us such a script.
----
of course you are. I suppose you believe in the tooth fairy and the
Easter bunny too.

The process is called preupgrade (live upgrade from one version of
Fedora to the next). That is scripted, reasonably supported and has some
ability to succeed despite the various ways people will abuse the
package system.

Personally, I'm in favor of abusing a system in order to further one's
understanding and ability to repair broken items but those who hope for
some miracle to bless their mess are doomed to fail.

Yum upgrades are for people who are capable of resolving packaging
conflicts and you should probably just stay away.

Craig

believed to be clean.