F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:11:21 UTC 2011

Hi Craig,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> I suppose if you go 'off the reservation' (use un-official repos) then
> Ubuntu and Fedora are certainly capable of failing especially if you
> disable them prior to upgrading (not sure why you would disable them).

Just wanted a clarification on that statement. I thought the safer way
was to disable all the community repositories before using something
like yum upgrade or preupgrade. That way any hidden packaging bug in
community packages don't come in the way of the distro upgrade. After
the upgrade is finished, all one has to do is enable the repos again
and do a simple yum update, followed by a distro-sync with all repos
enabled. Could you clarify why you think upgrading with them enabled
is better?

Thanks,

--
Suvayu