Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:58:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:07:45 +0800, EG (Ed) wrote:

> On 10/11/2011 01:39 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> > Unless you are happy with everyone telling the "these number of people"
> > where to put their beefy miracle --- fill in the cliche yourself (does
> > it still sound "cute" in this context and an inside joke you wish to
> > exhibit to the world?)
>
> Not to mention, that if this is indeed an "inside joke" it just goes
> further to advance the opinion of some that Fedora is "run" by a small
> group of "insiders" and everyone else (the user base) are "outsiders".

If it bugs you that much, consider taking part in the voting next time. ;)
That might also make it more difficult for small groups to push their
names.

It isn't about "insiders vs. outsiders" anymore (as with old Red Hat Linux
dist names), but just that release name proposals, discussing them and
voting for them isn't of much interest to many people. It may be considered
fun by some, but all that matters afterall is the quality of the distribution
not its name.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting

One could vote only from 2011-10-04 to 2011-10-10, which isn't a lot of
time. Only a fraction of the possible voters have taken part. One must
know that "range voting" has been used, so the results are not a 1-to-1
mapping of votes to voters.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/relnamef17

I've voted for a different name. Only to support the effort and
the fact that one can influence the release name a little bit. Some
of the background for the final name proposals has been outright
boring: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_17

However, there has been some group effort behind the Beefy Miracle name
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Hot_Dog
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meat_SIG
and I presume they have managed to attract a couple of voters for
reasons unknown.