Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Tue Oct 11 13:17:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:09:29 -0500 Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 19:25 +0800 schrieb Ed Greshko:
> > I frankly (no pun intended) don't think "Beefy Miracle" is a name to be
> > proud of.
>
> I do. Even though I am vegetarian.

My problem with the name is that it conveys two different things, none
of which I want in my linux distribution.

The term "Beefy" does not chime with a lean and efficient distribution.

The term "Miracle" is something that is even worse. It is some
phenomenon that can not be explained (except by divinity). Do we really
want that in a linux distribution?

There may well be other interpretations that come to mind, but these
are what came to me right away.

I did not know the proceedings for voting or even that it was on, so it
is correct, I did not vote. Of course, that gives me no voice (which is
appropriate). However, it does not preclude me from having an opinion.

Ranjan