No, I don't want to maximize my window

Dokuro dario.soto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:31:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, one of the most annoying, obnoxious, and irritating behaviors
> in Gnome 3 is its in-your-face maximization of the window I'm dragging, when
> I move it partly off to the side of the screen. When I'm dragging the
> window, and the pointer reaches the edge of the screen, Gnome decides to
> maximize the whole thing. It appears to think that I'm trying to tile the
> window against one of the screen's edges, so why not maximize it?
>
> That never made any sense to me, and I always thought that this was a stupid
> thing to do. But one thing that always puzzled me, and I couldn't figure it
> out, is how someone could've even gotten this kind of an idea in the first
> place. To me, it just came completely out of the left field. Yes, when I'm
> dragging a window partially off screen, that's really exactly what I'm
> trying to accomplish: I want to maximize it. Huh?
>
> I often move windows partially off the screen when I want to recover some
> real estate for something else. So now, instead of staying, inobtrusively,
> off to the side, the damn thing takes over the entire display. It's exactly
> the opposite of what I wanted to accomplish. Instead of gaining empty screen
> space, the window I just dragged just takes it over.
>
> I now have to retrain myself to drop the window before my mouse pointer goes
> all the way to the edge. It's annoying. It's irritating. And it bugs the
> hell out of me.
>
> But I was always curious about the thought process that went into this.
> Where? Why? How? It just seems so naturally wrong, but someone must've
> thought that this is what the user really wanted to do, and I was always
> curious to figure out how that thought process developed. And I'm wondering
> whether anyone else was wondering the same thing.
>
> Because I just figured out exactly what happened here. Which left field this
> bizarre behaviour came from.
>
> My new employer gave me a work laptop, loaded with Windows 7.
>
> This is what Windows 7 does. This user behavior is new in Windows 7.
>
> So, naturally, Gnome must ape Windows, and imitate every stupid thing that
> Windows does.
>
> Sigh.

I like this behavior, is like having a dual head!.
And I saw it first on Linux Mint 11, with Gnome 2...
so the windows rant is just plain stupid

It seems you do not move the windows with alt...

OS: http://fedoraproject.org/es/ - http://www.linuxmint.com/
Graficos: http://www.blender.org - http://www.gimp.org
Musica: http://www.jamendo.com - http://www.openoctave.org/
Recetas: http://www.recetas-sencillas.com/ -