Java crashes in Mozilla Firefox

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Thu Oct 13 10:50:23 UTC 2011

Ian Malone wrote:
> There are two packages:  java-1.6.0-openjdk and
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin, you need to install both, it sounds like
> you've only installed java-1.6.0-openjdk. (If you had Yum working it
> would get java-1.6.0-openjdk when you ask it for
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin).

  Yes. I located,downloaded and installed the ..openjdk-plugin.. and I
found this README:
The java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin subpackage contains a version of
gcjwebplugin that has been modified to run on the IcedTea class
libraries.  The package manages an alternatives symlink,
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so, so that gcjwebplugin is
recognized by the Firefox web browser.

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so contains this *.so,
and in /etc/alternatives I find:
libjavaplugin.so -> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so

So then it should go well to symlink
libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so
in /opt/firefox7/firefox/plugins

but it does not work. No reference to a java plugin in Tools>Addons
but in about:plugines there is:

GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2
     File:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so
     Version:
     The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.

Logon via bank ID fails. So it seems that this ios not compatible.

It seem that I have to plan for Fedora 14. Have you tried to install
from memeory stick?

Regards
PA