Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 13 14:48:40 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 14:21 +0200 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:07:50 +0200, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> > > Well, try to explain it to the users without talking in riddles.
> >
> > Have we ever explained names like Tettnang or Zod?
>
> Of course, except that early Fedora release names have been decided on
> without voting.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Fedora_release_names
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora-_und_Red-Hat-Versionsnamen

None of these links explains the actual choices, they just explain how
the games works and what the connections are.

Explaining the *name* doesn't mean to explain that Heidelberg is a City
in the German state of Baden-Württemberg but why Heidelberg was chosen
in favor of any other city in Baden-Württemberg.

> The Fedora Release name process has become much more open compared with
> Red Hat Linux ( http://www.smoogespace.com/documents/behind_the_names.html ).
>
> Even during the RHL era. Red Hat Linux users that tried to figure out
> the connection between consecutive release names.

You see: You are again explaining the rules rather than the choices.
While I have to admit that the connection is a little week this time,
the name itself is easy to explain. It is more related to Fedora than
any other name before.

Regards,
Christoph