Dennis Ritchie

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:10:49 UTC 2011

On Thursday 13 October 2011 15:41:24 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Fedora 17 name has already been voted upon. Fedora 18 codename
> suggestions will be requested when Fedora 17 is about to be released

I think it would be more appropriate to rename F16, rather than wait for a
whole year to pay respects to the man. Since Ritche was a key inventor of both
C and UNIX, I believe a case can be made to make an exception and rename the
first upcoming release, which will be F16.

Rahul, can you present the case to the relevant people, maybe open a vote on
it so that everyone can formally state their opinion?

My suggestion is the following:

(1) Rename F16 to "Ritchie" (or "Dennis", whatever people like better),
(2) Rename F17 to "Verne" (in order not to insult the great writer),
(3) Rename F18 to "Beefy Miracle" (in order to keep the chain of "is a"
naming).

I think that is the least Fedora Community can do to pay respects to Dennis
Ritchie. Opinions?

Best, :-)
Marko