Can't access username (Solved)

Bill Kuns am497 at CyberMesa.com
Fri Oct 14 06:50:24 UTC 2011

From: Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com>
To: am497 at CyberMesa.com, Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: Can't access username
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:01:19 -0700

On 10/13/2011 09:42 AM, Bill Kuns wrote:
> I've installed Fedora 15 four times.  The same thing happens.
>
> When I try to log on to username, I get a message:
>
> 	Could not update /home/username/.ICEauthority
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Possibly nothing.  Check the ownership and permissions of your home
directory.  "username") should own it and have rwx permissions:

	[rick at prophead ~]$ ls -ld ~rick
	drwx------ 102 rick rick 12288 Oct 10 18:30 /home/rick

If not, as root, change the permissions and delete the
~username/.ICEauthority file:

	sudo chown username ~/username
	sudo chmod u+rwx ~/username
	sudo rm -f ~/username/.ICEauthority

Then log out.  When you log in again as username, the file should be
recreated.  This has been reported on Ubuntu and several other distros
and whatever caused it may have crept into Fedora somehow.

It appears to be something from an upstream package that Fedora also
uses.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -