doc question on private network IP allocation

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 14 07:59:59 UTC 2011

Hello to all:

A long time ago when I first struggled and figured out how to set up a
LAN network, I got some advice about how I should alloc the numbers. 1)
start static address at *.*.*.10, 2) put WAPs at *.*.*.245, and 3) for a
gateway of 192.168.1.1, assign your router that connects to the 3rd
party (Verizon) to be 192.168.2.2.

I have never really found documentation to support such, but my network
behaves nicely so I don't argue.

I am helping my niece set up her network for her apartment / roommates
and find that I don't want to give her the advice I was given as I can't
prove its worth. Plus, she and the roommates are all living on wireless
DCHP and I never dealt with that (translation is the one laptop I do
have I just let it do its thing and turn a blind eye).

They are all Windows-centric so I am trying to find best practice
regardless of opSys.

Can anyone point me to a website that gives good advice on how one
should alloc one's local ip addresses? I googled and seem to only turn
up differences in A, B, C networks or router to outside link info. Maybe
there isn't any advice on such, in which case I want to know so I can
tell her to "do her thing".

Thanks in advance,
Paul